When the team here at Disneyways offered me the chance to review the “The Force is Fierce” beauty box from Enchanted Beauty’s subscription service, it took all I had to respond in an adult fashion and not give in my baser instincts (ie, repeatedly shouting “GIMME” like a toddler…okay, fine, I may have yelled that as I typed something slightly more professional). As a lifelong Star Wars fanatic and full-time magpie (my husband jokes nothing that sparkles in a mile radius misses out on my ogling), it couldn’t be more tailored to my interests, and spoiler alert: I’m happy to say I wasn’t disappointed!
So, a little information about Enchanted Beauty: Per their website, it’s “a brand new Disney inspired monthly subscription box…to show off your Disney side, inner princess, Dark Side, theme park addict or even the villain inside of all of us!” Each month subscribers will receive “4 to 5 full-sized beauty products from well-known, popular, chic, and up-and-coming brands,” curated around each month’s specific theme. Subscribers pay $39.95 a month for their hand-picked packaged of goodies, including shipping (you’ll also receive tracking info on your package!).
As a graphic designer I can’t help but take notes on visual presentation, and Enchanted Beauty scored high marks for starting the fun before I even opened the box with fun, poppy Star Wars tape securing the lid. Inside I found my treats cushioned in white, black, red and gold tissue – A+ color palette. My box’s theme was no doubt chosen to help celebrate the newly-released Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, but there’s no shortage of nods to the classic movies too. I got a chance to talk to Stacey, founder of Enchanted Beauty, and she let me know subscribers received either a “Light Side” or “Dark Side;” mine was a mix of both. You can see the contents in my photo, but here’s a detailed listing of what I got, with my notes:
- Hard Candy eye shadow (“Make Believe,” 261). Stacey let me know it was chosen “because it looks like a moon and of course we all know the famous quote ‘that’s no moon,’” but it gives me a definite Death Star vibe too!
- An adorable, handmade resin Chewie and Han necklace. It’s kind of abstract and made to look like pop art, so you can pay tribute to our favorite Star Wars BFFs in subtle style.
- A star bracelet. It’d also make a great, in-theme extender if you want to rock your Han and Chewie necklace a little longer!
- Hand-crafted Swarovski black crystal stud earrings. They’re from Etsy shop Sparkle & Steel and not only are they a solid everyday earring (reminiscent of the inky depths of space and a perfect pairing with your coolest Star Wars tees) but the packaging is great – they inform me that “Sparkle you must!” NO ARGUMENT HERE.
- Heng Fang Cosmetics “Twist Up the Volume” waterproof mascara. A good staple, but you might be pushing your luck wearing it to your third viewing of SWVII since just the credits give you nostalgic weepies – sorry, more a note to self?
- CoverGirl Star Wars Limited Edition Colorlicious Lipstick (Red #30). A very fierce color from the Dark Side collection. I own more red lipsticks than could be considered necessary (or healthy), but I’ve still had my eye on this one since its release, so I was stoked to get it!
- A super cute Darth Vader keychain. It’s also a flashlight that makes lightsaber noises. LIGHTSABER NOISES. COME ON.
Overall it’s clear real thought and time was put into this collection, and I think it’s quite cool that – unlike a lot of beauty boxes – you receive accessories, too, and from small shops and makers to boot. The website notes while they’re working toward providing customers a taste profile in the coming months, they currently try to “only include items that all of [their] subscribers are able to enjoy [and] steer away from choosing any items that are age-specific or skin-tone specific,” which I think they succeeded at here. With the variety of fun stuff you’ll receive, this would be a great box for a few Disney geek pals or families with several Disney lovers of different ages in the house to split – this month’s box would provide sweet accessories for the younger geeks and on trend makeup for teens and ladies alike. (And if there isn’t a fight over the keychain by all parties – I REPEAT: LIGHTSABER SOUNDS – then we come from very different households. Even our cats want in on that one!)
If the price gives you pause, check this out: you can use the code WELCOME2016 at checkout for 25% off! There are also several options to purchase (monthly, if you’re just sweet on a given theme; three month, six month and twelve months prepay). You can find out more here on Enchanted Beauty’s site, and you can follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for all the latest on each month’s theme (next up is Frozen!), plus make up tips and more!
That’s all from me – thanks for the opportunity, Disneyways! (Don’t worry, readers – like the Force, the keychain will be with me. Always.)
Disclaimer: I was offered Enchanted Beauty’s subscription box for the month at no cost in exchange for my honest review. In communicating for this article I also struck up a business relationship with this business’s owner and will be creating marketing materials for them as a part of my graphic design business. This review was completed before this business relationship takes effect and does not influence my opinion in any way. All thoughts are my own.
Chris Frantz – seen here getting beauty tips from a fellow ginger – is a happily married mother of three furry “kids,” lifelong nerd and Walt Disney World fanatic. She’s also the graphic designer and owner of On A Roll Designs. She’d consider letting you play with the flashlight if you like her on Facebook and swing by her Etsy store to see how she can help you put your best aesthetic foot forward to commemorate special events and promote your blogs, shops, websites and small businesses with adventurous designs at affordable prices!